Santorini or Fira is a picturesque archipelago in the Aegean Sea and in fact, consists of several islands: Tirasia, Nea Kameni, Palea Kameni, Aspronisi. Santorini is a part of the Greek Cyclades and is a very charming island: fabulously beautiful, aristocratic, with amazing landscapes, incredible architecture, and impeccable service. For many years, Santorini has been on the list of the top 50 places around the world that are worth visiting at least once in a lifetime and it’s really worth to visit! If you want to spend the best vacations in Santorini, check below the ultimate travel guide.
Vacations in Santorini: all you need now
Getting from Athens to Santorini
There are two main ways to get from Athens to Santorini, by ferry or by airplane. More often, ferry to Santorini is a cheaper way to travel than an airplane, but also a longer one. Traveling by plane lasts about 40 minutes and by ferry from 5 to 8 hours.
Before booking a ferry, be sure to check out the useful travel tips for traveling by ferry in Greece. A properly selected ferry will save you time and make your trip more comfortable.
Since the island is not very big, during the high season it is quite difficult to find a taxi on Santorini, so it is better to book your transfer in advance.
Where to stay in Santorini
Santorini is mostly famous for its magnificent views of the caldera and the unusual black sandy beach. Unfortunately, these two places cannot be combined. So, where is the best area to stay?
On the caldera side, there are mainly luxury hotels with a breathtaking view, but without a beach. Thira and Oia are the most popular areas to stay with a magnificent view from your balcony or room. These places are just perfect for a romantic getaway. Imerovigli village, between Thira and Oia, is also famous for its landscapes.
If you are planning a family vacation in Santorini or just want to relax on a beach, then Kamari, Perissa, and Perivolos areas are the most suitable option for you.
What to do in Santorini
Santorini, even though it is a small island, it does have many things to do and see. Check out below what to do in Santorini during your unforgettable vacation :
- Sunsets in Oia are a must-see for every trip to Santorini. Sunsets and sunrises are considered the most beautiful in the world and, of course, they are the main attraction.
- Take a walk along the narrow streets of Oia, with white and blue houses, churches, old mills, and dine in one of the restaurants overlooking the caldera.
- Visit the archaeological site of Akrotiri, preserved after the eruption of a volcano.
- Swim and sunbathe on the black and red beaches, the unique visiting cards of the island.
- Rent a car, ATV or bike and explore the island.
- Take a walk from Fira to Oia. The distance between the two most beautiful cities is only 10 km, the walk will take you a maximum of 4 hours with amazing views, aromas of dry herbs, cicadas chirping, colorful roadside taverns, and friendly locals.
- Take a tour of the volcano and hot springs, which are located on a neighboring island and are heated by the volcano itself.
- Visit one of the wineries. The most famous variety is Vinsanto, which is produced only in Santorini. In addition to wine tasting, you can also visit the wine museum in Kamari.
The best Greek itinerary with Santorini
To make your trip richer, you have a great opportunity to combine the trip to Santorini with other Greek islands or/and Athens.
- 2 nights Santorini weekend.
- 4 nights itinerary – Mykonos (2 nights) + Santorini (2 nights)
- 5+1 nights itinerary – Athens (2 nights) + Santorini (3 + 1 nights)
- 7 nights itinerary – Athens (2 nights) + Mykonos ( 2 nights) + Santorini (2 nights) + Athens (1 night)
- 8 nights itinerary – Athens (2 nights) + Thessaloniki (3 nights) + Santorini (3 nights)
- 9 nights itinerary – Athens (2 nights) + Chania (3 nights) + Heraklion (1 night) + Santorini (3 nights)
- 10 nights itinerary – Athens (2 nights) + Mykonos (3 nights) + Santorini (3 nights) + Crete (2 nights)
Want to spend the best Santorini vacations? In addition to my tips and tricks, entrust the organization of your holidays to professionals, such as Antelope Travel agency, that will select for you the most convenient and advantageous Santorini Greece Vacation Packages (accommodation, transfers, excursions and etc.)
LIKE IT? PIN IT!
This is not a sponsored post. All the websites and companies I have included here are based on my personal travel experiences. Please note that some of these links contain my personal affiliate links, and with no extra cost to you. I may earn a small commission that helps me run this website and helps me share my adventures and travel tips which can help you.