Greece is an amazing holiday destination all 365 days a year, and whenever you visit this paradise on earth, you will definitely have a great time. Greece in September is especially beautiful and, perhaps, this is one of the best months to enjoy your Greek vacation.
If at this time, in the course of today’s events and the panic about the coronavirus, since no one is traveling, then by the end of summer, everything should settle down, which means we can travel again. Well, I hope so. Need some inspiration about where to travel in September? Below, I have some great ideas on how to spend your memorable vacation in Greece in September.
Greece in September
The Main Reasons for Visiting Greece in September
As we say in Greece: September is the fourth month of summer, even the best one. Here are the main reasons for visiting Greece in September:
- scorching heat gives way to a pleasant warmth. This is the best time for your vacation in Greece if you cannot handle the heat.
- the sea is as warm as in summer, so you can spend the whole day on the beach.
- comfortable weather for excursions and tours. Exploring the Acropolis and other archaeological sites will be much more pleasant.
- you will be treated with the most delicious Greek dishes from the freshest Greek fruits and vegetables.
- air flight and accommodation prices are gradually declining. You can enjoy your memorable vacation in Greece for reasonable money.
- the list of options where to spend your vacation in Greece in September is only increasing. Now it includes both seaside resorts and Greek cities rich in attractions.
Weather in Greece in September
As I mentioned before, great weather is one of the main reasons to visit Greece in September. Ιt is mostly sunny, the sea is still warm, and sometimes you even want to take a break from the heat during the day. Evenings get cooler, so you might need a light jacket with you. At the end of September, it becomes a little colder, therefore it is more pleasant to travel around Greece and admire ancient cities or natural attractions.
The water temperature in Greece in September also changes slightly. Usually, at the beginning of the month, the sea maintains a temperature of + 26-27 ° С, and by the end of September it cools down to + 24-25 ° С.
In Athens, in the first half of September, the daytime temperature can still rise to + 33-35 ° C, and at the end of September the air cools down to + 20-25 ° C.
Best Places to Visit in Greece in September
September is the perfect month for both beach holidays and sightseeing. One of the best options is to visit the capital of Greece – Athens. For fans of history and mythology of ancient Greece, Athens is a real catch. In addition to a walk through the Old Town and visit the Acropolis, it is very convenient to participate in day trips from Athens. You can visit Cape Sounion with the Temple of Poseidon, the Ancient Epidavros, Mycenae, the first capital of Greece – Venetian town of Nafplion, or the capital of the Olympic Games – Ancient Olympia.
In the second half of September, it is better to visit Crete, where you can swim until the end of October. On the island of Rhodes in the Mediterranean Sea in September, pay attention to the east coast, the beach of Faliraki, where the sea is calmer and warmer.
One of my favorite vacation spots in Greece during September is the islands of the Saronic Gulf – Spetses, Poros, Hydra, and Agistri. These islands will definitely delight you with its calm weather, the warm sea, azure water, secluded bays, and excellent local cuisine.
The Best Greece Vacation Itinerary in September
After you’ve decided that September is the perfect month for your vacation, you just need to choose the best Greece vacation itinerary.
Since there are many places to visit, it is sometimes very difficult to choose the right travel itinerary, but I have some great ideas for you:
- Αthens City Break. If you want to spend your best city getaway, Athens is the perfect option! Athens has it all: history, walks, delicious food, shopping, and even a promenade with the sea not far from the city center.
- Athens + Mykonos + Santorini. Thee top destinations in one week! What could be more exciting?
- Athens + Mykonos + Santorini + Crete. Why not visit another famous island in Greece, if you have more days for vacation?
- Αthens + Santorini + Rhodes + Crete. A great option for traveling in the second half of September.
- Αhens + Delphi + Olympia + Meteora. The perfect trip for fans of history and archaeological sites.
If you want to create your personalized travel itinerary to Greece in September, you have always relied on professionals. The local travel agency Antelope Travel, which, like no other, will select for your memorable vacation the most convenient and advantageous travel packages. Just check out their website www.antelope-travel.com.
LIKE IT? PIN IT!
This is not a sponsored post. All the websites and companies I have included here are based on my personal travel experiences. Please note that some of these links contain my personal affiliate links, and with no extra cost to you. I may earn a small commission that helps me run this website and helps me share my adventures and travel tips which can help you.